India has always been associated with rich cultural diversity. With a population of close to 1.2 billion, there are more than 700 dialects as there are 22 officially recognized languages. India is home to some of the finest artists of all times and by artists I don’t mean only painters. Artists including everyone from Actors, Painters, Musicians, Dancers and everyone who posses a skill. The Indian movie making fraternity – popularly known as the Bollywood – has not only given some great movies or actors, it has produced some of the finest musicians. Be in the legendary duo of Lakshmikant-Pyarelal or the great lyricist Majrooh Sultanpuri. These legends have written some of the finest songs in the history on Indian cinema, many of which we throughly enjoy today. Let’s find out the 5 all time best Bollywood songs we relish.
1. Jab Pyaar Kiya toh Darna Kya: This one song is often played on various music meets and had set a benchmark during the 60s. This song is part of the famous Bollywood movie Mughal-e-Azam. The song was sung by none other than the legend herself Lata Mangeshkar fondly known as Lata didi. The music was given by yet another master, Naushad. While the lyrics were given by Shakeel Badayuni.
2. Abhi na jao chodd kar: One of the best romantic songs I’ve heard till date, certainly beats some of the news romantic songs. The lyrics are so good, I mean Abhi na jao chodd kar ke din abhi dhala nahi… speechless. This famous song was from the movie Hum Dono which was released in 1961. The singers were the great Mohd Rafi and Asha Bhosle, the duo has given some of the hit songs in Indian cinema. Music was given by Jaidev and the Lyrics by Sahir Ludhianvi.
3. Raat akeli hai: Only a singer like Asha bhosle could come up with such an amazing song. Her voice perfectly suited the song. This was part of the famous movie Jewel Thief which had the evergreen Dev Anand sahab and Vyjayanthimala.The music was given by the Sachin Dev Burman and the beautiful lyrics were penned down by Majrooh Sultanpuri.
4. Musafir hoon yaaron: Na ghar hai na thikana… Every person traveling alone might imagine himself/herself in this song. The amazing lyrics of the song coupled with some great music made it evergreen. From the movie Parichay shot in 1972 and the music direction given by Rahul Dev Burman fondly known as Pancham Da. The lyrics for this amazing song was given by none other than Gulzar sahab.
5. Aaj mere yaar ki shaadi hai: No marriage is complete without this song being played by the band. The song that is enjoyed by millions even today, was composed way back in 1977. Sung by Mohd Rafi, Deven Verma and the music was given by Ravi Shankar Sharma and the evergreen lyrics were written by Verma Malik.
The list doesn’t end here, there are hundreds and thousands of amazing songs from the 50s till date that have captured a million hearts. Even today you see the young music directors remixing the old hits. The best part about the old songs were the lyrics which is certainly missing now a days. So if you have any other amazing old Bollywood music, do mention in the comments below !